Red Series

Friday 14 October 2016

Writing Factory

Have you ever felt like your writing is on an assembly line? That you are just filling in things for someone else despite the fact you're doing the work? I won't go into too much details but one of my freelance jobs has me at a bit of an impasse. Drafting novels for others can be tough and time consuming. More so when you try to fix a bad outline only to get shot down by the client who thinks it's perfect. I will still work with them but after finishing this sequel, I will not sign on to do a third book. Which is sad but sometimes you have to do what is best for yourself and peace of mind over the quality of work you're ghostwriting. Still doing my best but feel like I'm trying to impress lessons upon a spoilt child. She's not my kid, I've had enough.


On the happy front. I am so close to finishing drafting a novella which is translated from a play. This is the second time I've done this because translating across mediums can be very difficult. However this client is so open to my ideas and excited about every new chapter, I want to make them happy. It is both a good and sad thing that our time together is nearly over. Also an old client wants to get back to ordering. He also has been an iffy client but that has been with taking up orders on time and rating. However he follows through on letting me know if he has any issues and allows me the freedom to fix or expand on anything in the drafting process. So I'm fine with having him back and he'll be a good buffer for...that other client. I also decided yesterday to lock down my story plot orders. While I feel a little sad for those clients. Right now drafting is taking up a lot of my freelance working time and pays best. Having to jump from big ongoing orders to tiny but still time consuming sporadic orders is distracting. So with a slight heavy heart but good business sense, writing short plots for stories is out until I either have more free time or there's a slow down on drafting novel/chapter orders. Not that I'm hoping to lose any business.

Have you ever felt more like a factory or an assembly than a person because of your job? I love being a freelancer but the fact of the matter is you have clients to answer to and they are all different. Good news though is also as I freelancer I can choose whether to continue or cut a working relationship short without having 'a boss' tell me what to do. Thanks for stopping by and God Bless.

9 comments:

  1. I feel that way all the time.
    Glad the play translation went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the back up Alex. Enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
  2. OMG I did not even know you can order an outline from someone??? And what do they do with it? Write a book on it and publish it? I did fancy opening an agency which would add punch lines and scenes to books like there are agencies which do that with films, some of the best scenes in legendary movies have been bought from such agencies and weren't written by original scribes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you have your hands full, but that you are handling the difficulties well. It also sounds like you're in demand! A very good place to be! Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's that... You try to fix a bad outline only to get shot down by the client who thinks it's perfect? Oh darn, say it ain't so!

    Everything I do reminds me of a factory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope it all works out. And good luck with the Novella!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope it all works out. And good luck with the Novella!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, there are positives and negatives. I prefer to freelance edit, not freelance write.

    ReplyDelete

Waiting on Wednesday: Reconnected

Please Note: The final WOW on this blog as I take my final bow this month. I want to thank all readers of this post and all my blogging. I r...