Red Series

Wednesday 2 April 2014

Bo



Bo is a monster from my MG wip Monster City. I know that technically he isn't a memorable character for many besides myself but I know that he has been seared into my mind. Bo (pronounced Bow as in Bow and Arrow) lives a life of hiding in my wip. Monster City is a place where monsters are rounded up and locked away to be used in forced labour. Monster City's real name is Monroe City but the nickname comes from the mayor's and the laws mistreatment of monsters.

Bo belongs to Jupiter and their connection allows him to be invisible. But Bo is so much more than a secondary character to Jupiter, the protagonist. He was abandoned at birth and raised by Jupiter's dad before laws changed and Bo had to hide to keep from being enslaved. Bo is a bright light in a hard world and he loves the only family he knows and is willing to help Jupiter find a way to prove monster's aren't evil but he won't let Jupiter get into extreme danger and can be the word of sense to this adventurous boy. But he is still a fun monster and can't stay completely out of trouble.

What draws me most is a part in the book that isn't even written yet. Where something happens that takes Bo to a dark place and proves that not only is no one perfect but everyone has a breaking point. Even when it means going against the beliefs of those you love.

All I will say is the video below with Tony Stark threatening the Mandarin is close enough to Bo's state later in the novel. It is quite a transformation from the kind monster he was at the beginning.



Monster City one sentence summary: Jupiter wants Monster City to be Monroe City again, but to do that he needs to prove a monster didn't murder a child decades ago.

P.S.: A monster than grow and shrink at will, is naturally awesome.

30 comments:

  1. There are all kinds of monsters out there and not just in a physical sense....very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like a character that goes on a major character arc!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good name. I can get behind Bo (and try to scare him). :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your theme! And what a great way for someone to understand their characters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't want to cross him. You're very imaginative. Bo and Tony Stark have me frightened.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enslaved monsters... I love the idea of your new WIP. You'll have to let me know when it's out. :) Untethered Realms

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great beginning to this challenge. I'm looking forward to the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm…I am definitely intrigued! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bo does sound interesting. May you get to that dark place soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Characters that make that much change are always appealing to me. And the story is intriguing, i'd like to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When in the world is this book going to be released?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love when characters have a strong arc. They should, right? They all should. Admittedly, that was something I didn't understand when I began SERIOUSLY writing (back in Jr. High), but we figure these things out over time, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Delicious, yes, Bo is tenderness, did not know him, but I like the way you describe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds very interesting what age group would this story be for as i think even my sons would like this too, age 8 and 11, what do you think? When will you finish it? LOL...and hello from another fellow A-Z blogger x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bo sounds like a great character, and your story sounds interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, that sound like something that would appeal to the MG crowd for sure. We had a hard time finding good, interesting books for our now 14 year old with a high reading level. Now he pretty much refuses to read unless it's a school assignment. At least my oldest has discovered the joys of reading. He's been voracious since kindergarten. Sometimes even have to tell him to stop...I know, a crime...
    Tina @ Life is Good
    A to Z Team @ Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2014

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds interesting!

    A-Z Challenge.

    http://theramblingsofcharliebrown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. He sounds like a great character. And what a memorable Ironman moment! I love Robert Downey in this. Nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sometimes it's the smaller characters who haunt our thoughts. And thanks for the Robert Downey Jr. clip... *breathes heavily*

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bo sounds like a cool dude, er, monster... I bet it's fun to write his scenes :)

    Happy Insecure Anagram Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the name Bo and the clip with Downey gives a better picture of him. Neat character. Shells–Tales–Sails

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aw Bo sounds like a great character. Some of my favorite characters were secondary ones that just for some reason grabbed me even if they weren't the main focus of things.

    Happy A to Z-ing!
    ~Anna
    My A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Now I want to know what makes a monster.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bo is very cute! I like that name. I love how you analyze the character.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Um, yes! A monster that can grow and shrink at will is definitely awesome!!! He sounds super cool!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the sound of your book, and this character! Look forward to reading it someday. :)

    ReplyDelete

Waiting on Wednesday: Reconnected

Please Note: The final WOW on this blog as I take my final bow this month. I want to thank all readers of this post and all my blogging. I r...