Red Series

Wednesday 6 May 2015

Book Review: Perfection (Sisters in Love Book 1) by J.L. Campbell

Yes I am skipping IWSG for the first time in a long while. Nuh knock me off Ninja or minions! Much love, I will be back next month.

My first review for 2015! Yay! I am back on the front lines of book reviewing and today I am reviewing my dear friend Joy Campbell's first NA novel Perfection. She gave me an e-copy (like all the cool book reviewers get, LOL) and I got to read it for myself. This novel is also first in a series and what a series this is shaping up to be. Now don't let friendship fool you, I review like jackhammer lick rock stone.


Summary: A willful girl. A determined guy. A sticky situation. Can love conquer all?

After six months of serial breakups with her two-timing boyfriend, Natasha is ready to give relationships a break. Malik has no plans to give up and schemes to get her back, but his efforts throw his cousin in the middle of his campaign. Natasha doesn't need another guy messing with her brain, or her plans for the future, but Karim is different from anyone she's ever met. The fact that he's off-limits deepens her guilt over her attraction and puts her judgment into question. Can she move beyond the mistakes of the past and trust someone who's no angel?

Karim is back in Jamaica for the summer and has no plans to tie himself to anyone, because girls are complicated and he's been burned a time or two. He's knee-deep in responsibility as a result of a thoughtless act that changed his life. But Natasha is a girl with a difference, who makes him want things he has sworn to give up. Will she give him the time of day and will she want him when she finds out about his past and the present he wants to keep hidden, but can't?


Review

Natasha and Karim are the two perspectives that you get throughout the novel. It is nice to get the guy's perspective as well as the female's for a change. Both characters are young adults starting university and are born Jamaicans, a nice change of pace since most NA involves American or while characters. The duo are tired of betting burned and decide to each drop their respective baggage willing to try something new. Natasha is more hesitant due to her experience with on again off again ex Malik who can only describe kindly as a douche. Yes, I said it. The novel carries you through how they meet and interact with each other as romance blossoms, fizzles and hopefully blossoms again. Will they make it or will obstacles including dutty exes and too much drama tear them apart?

What I enjoyed about this novel the most was how real these characters were. Neither seemed larger than life or someone who you couldn't relate to or imagine being like. The drama was never so insane that it was soap opera worthy though some exes prove to be what I can only term as 'bright and facety' (out of order/ no manners/ kiss me neck!). I must admit that some parts I am not sure I could maintain my niceness and I am a very calm person on the surface. Still, such people do exist and I must commend Joy for making even the more minor characters stand out and that the sub plots could intrigue you almost as much as the main one. Also there is a sisterly bond Natasha shares through her father's remarriage that will melt your heart. Over all I must say that I loved this book and as a Jamaican the local nuances were an added treat. Plus I could relate to some of the mother daughter drama in the 'career dispute.' Want to know more? Then go and grab a copy! This book hooked me from beginning to end and I am sure it will hook you too.

Psst. Plus a sequel is coming. Fixation will have you transfixed. Shhh, nuh chat say me tell you.

Rating: 5 Stars!

Purchase: Kindle, Barnes N Noble

Joy's links: Goodreads, Blog, Facebook, Twitter

7 comments:

  1. She's really good with characters. Joy will be thrilled with that review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this review, SKG! I've been meaning to try out some IWSG authors, and I may get this one next! Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheena, I am so glad you enjoyed it. Doing a happy dance. These NA stories have come as gifts and the writing of them was fluid as the stories came complete without me getting stuck.

    Internet and other problems for me on IWSG day of all days. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a really cute book. And it's not common to have a guy's perspective in these stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. JL is a great writer and it's so good to see her featured here. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. THIS IS NICE
    you have a lovely blog,
    i followed you DEAR, please kindly follow back.
    http://melodyjacob1.blogspot.com/ #MELODYJACOBS
    thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah, Joy can make some very real characters. She's wonderfully talented that way.

    ReplyDelete

Waiting on Wednesday: Reconnected

Please Note: The final WOW on this blog as I take my final bow this month. I want to thank all readers of this post and all my blogging. I r...