Red Series

Monday 7 October 2013

Guest Post: Nana Prah on being a Writing Newbie and her Novel

Today I'm handing the reigns over to Nana Prah, blogger and author of Love Through Time. Take it away Nana.

It’s not easy being green
Okay, so I stole the line from Kermit the frog. I’m giving him credit so it’s all right. I’m a newbie in this book writing world. And yes it is a whole new world (hmmm, fantasy book idea?). I love writing. Even when the words on my computer screen are crap, I love it.

What I don’t like is being new at it, especially the marketing aspect. Not knowing where to go or how to get there. I thank God for my author friends who have been in the system for a while and are willing and ready to help. Without them I would have been running around looking for something I didn’t need, while what I was supposed to have was sitting right in front of my face.

It’s not easy being a new writer, but I’m sure it gets better with time, everything usually does. To all of the seasoned authors helping out the newbies, like me, I’m sending out a huge imaginary gift basket of muffins.

Novel



Blurb:
Defending her family – no problem. Recalling past lives – maybe just a small problem. Taking a chance on love again – well…

Jasmine Gibson has her world turned upside down when she meets gorgeous Sean Taylor. He’s the first man she’s been attracted to since her fiancé dumped her two years ago. But when the disturbing daydreams start, Jasmine begins to fear that her actions in a past life may have finally caught up with her.

Sean finds it impossible to stay away from Jasmine even though he can’t shake the inexplicable feeling of betrayal, simmering deep inside him every time he sees her.

To complicate things, someone is out to hurt Jasmine and every time she and Sean are together, the police have to be called. Even if Jasmine can make Sean trust her, the two of them may not stay alive long enough to enjoy their love this time around.


Excerpt:

She was coming to terms about their past lives, but he was having trouble just dealing with her in this one.

“I must have been a great man in previous life,” Sean said jokingly, but Jasmine’s expression turned serious as she held onto the doorpost. “Are you all right? Are you getting lightheaded?”

“No, I’m fine.”
But he could tell something was bothering her. “Now you’re holding something back from me.”

“Do you believe in past lives?”

“I haven’t thought about it. I’ve seen so much in my travels around the world that I wouldn’t be surprised if it existed. Do you?”

“I think it might exist, and the thought about coming back and making your soul better is very appealing. At the same time it could be painful, especially if you hurt someone else in a past life and met them again in another.”

Sean felt a chill go up his spine. He knew there was something more to this conversation, but he couldn’t pin point it. He wanted to stay and talk with her about it, but he had to get back to studying.

He leaned down and kissed her cheek. It was nothing but a friendly kiss, but he felt the shock of it straight down to the soles of his feet. Jasmine looked just as affected as he was.



          Find me at:
Twitter: @NanaPrah



BIO:

Nana Prah was born in Ghana, West Africa, raised in the US and currently resides in Ghana where she loves her job as a writer and nurse educator. She has been writing since she can remember (in her journal) and has been an avid reader of romance novels since the eighth grade. She has finally been able to utilize the years and years of inadvertent research into writing her own romance novels where love always conquers all.

48 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for hosting me today Sheena-kay. Being new is much easier when you are supported. Thanks for the support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and I'm so glad so many readers came by and welcomed you.

      Delete
    2. I didn't realize just how beloved you are Sheena-kay. The response has been fantastic. A huge thank you to all of Sheena-kay's awesome readers.

      Delete
  2. I really like the sound of this, and I love the cover. My read list is full to bursting right now. But I'll be making a note about this one for adding later :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joss. I understand what you mean about a bursting lst. Thanks for at least making a note to add Love Through Time on when you are less loaded.

      Delete
  3. Congrats to Nana and it's all about the Paying It Forward :)

    We were all young writers once :)

    (...and some of us have even kept their hair.... sigh :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark. I love the term Paying It Forward. Lol about the hair. My condolences.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations to Nana Prah for the release of her novel. It's always exciting to have a new novel coming out, especially if it's the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vanessa. I'm basking in the experience of being an author. Sometimes I gaze at my book in amazement that I wrote it.

      Delete
  5. Nana there are plenty of authors who are willing to help. Congratulations on the release of your first book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness. I feel like my post has been read and commented on by a superstar. I saw your book everywhere last month, Alex, and was impressed by how many people supported you. Congratulations to you, too. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. Hey, Sheena & Nana,

    Congrats on your book! That's what I like about the writing community. Everybody chips in to help.

    If you still need help, check over at the IWSG site, which has lots of information that will be helpful.

    Nice to 'meet' you, Nana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info J.L. I'll be sure to check out the site. Writers are awesome.

      Delete
  7. The marketing-thing is crazy! But I'm learning from all the great people out here in the blogosphere. We're lucky to be a part of such a positive community of writers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely Jay. I am with you on the crazy marketing world and writers support.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on your book, Nana! It does take some time to learn it all . . .I think I'm a slow learner! I'm still trying to figure it all out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. I'm hoping it gets easier with time and experience.

      Delete
  9. Love those shocking kisses!
    Congrats on your book - wishing you all the best with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to the writing world, Nana! Thankfully writers are a pretty friendly bunch. Your new book sounds like a very interesting read. Good luck, and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen. I learned earlier on that writers were fantastic people.

      Delete
  11. Congratulations for diving into the writing world and taking the first steps in marketing. It's wonderful to get to know you, Nana, and I can't wait to follow your success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael. I'm glad you stopped by and left a comment.

      Delete
  12. I love muffins, Nana! I'm glad I found you. Two newbie's working it out together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad, Cathy. I'll even make them just the tops.

      Delete
  13. Congratulations! I love this post because helping newbies is one of my favorite parts of authorhood. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you might be a great adult, Carrie. I might have to stop by for some advice.

      Delete
  14. It's great to meet Nana and best wishes to her and Love Through Time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Muffins, yay! Can I have more than 1 please? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can have the whole basket, Kiru (yours is super sized).

      Delete
  16. Sounds like some past life karma is going on! Love the premise. Good luck, Nana!

    ReplyDelete
  17. we all were newbies sometime! muffins making me hungry!
    great excerpt & beautiful author pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Tara. Sorry the muffins weren't real.

      Delete
  18. It does suck to be new. Best of luck, Nana!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Being a writer is hard. But you're doing great, Sheena-kay!

    Congrats to Nana!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Certainly a very interesting guest, wonderful book!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey, congrats too. Nana, it looks like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats Nana. Looks very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm glad you think so, Mina. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your opening to your post! I'm sure Kermit would be honored to be quoted by you. The blurb and excerpt are very interesting. Congrats to you! Writer’s Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy. Laughing at your Kermit comment.

      Delete
  25. You are an awesome Newbie. Nana.

    ReplyDelete

Waiting on Wednesday: Reconnected

Please Note: The final WOW on this blog as I take my final bow this month. I want to thank all readers of this post and all my blogging. I r...