Red Series

Saturday 6 July 2013

Book Review: Planet of the Lawn Gnomes (Goosebumps Most Wanted #1) by R.L. Stine

Planet of the Lawn Gnomes (Goosebumps Most Wanted #1) by R.L. Stine
Genre: Children/ Middle Grade Horror
Source: Netgalley
Purchase: Amazon


Summary on Netgalley: Catch the most wanted Goosebumps characters--undead or alive...

The infamous, Most Wanted Goosebumps characters are out on the loose and they're coming after you! There is no place to hide. Nothing is safe!

Jay Gardner is a mischievous kid who can't stay out of trouble. Unfortunately, Jay gets in so much trouble, his family is forced to move. But there's something odd about Jay's new town. Why does everyone have lawn gnomes in front of their homes? And why is everyone afraid to go outside at night? Jay is about to learn that mischief can lead to terror.
R.L. Stine's books have sold more than 300 million copies, making him one of the most popular children's authors in history. Besides Goosebumps, R.L. Stine has written series including: Fear Street, Rotten School, Mostly Ghostly, The Nightmare Room, and Dangerous Girls. R.L. Stine lives in New York with his wife, Jane, and his King Charles spaniel, Minnie. www.RLStine.com.
Review

Jay's family have to move to a new neighbourhood thanks to his overwhelming mischief making. A smart kid he could accomplish so much if he wasn't such a fan of pranks. But something strange is going on in this new place. Lawn gnomes are everywhere and it isn't long before he gets suspicious that they're doing more than just sitting ugly on every neigbour's lawn. Worse no one wants to go out at night, not even the new friend he makes. Jay is determined to find out what's going on but his inquisitive ways and inability to stop pulling pranks gets him into deep trouble. And the Lawn Gnomes aren't going to just lounge around waiting for this boy to change his ways.

When I read this book I expected to get something new from R.L. Stine. And I did, a new story that kids who are fans will enjoy and nostalgic adults with me want to read. You're taken on a journey of middle grade horror that has twists and turns 'til the very end. It is an enticing read. But some poor pacing and twists that aren't properly explained will take away some of the joy. I highly recommend this to fans of child horror.

Rating: 3.5 Stars

6 comments:

  1. My kids love these. I just straightened the stack on my son's nightstand :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved his books as a kid. :) My daughter is very into scary reads now. I'll have to have her check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never gotten into reading this series of books, but know many people that have. Writer’s Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool and scary pic. Hope I don't have bad dreams. Stine always scares me and I am an adult. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a pretty interesting book!

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kids have been banned from watching these on Netflix :) Too many nightmares!
    I left you an award on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Waiting on Wednesday: Reconnected

Please Note: The final WOW on this blog as I take my final bow this month. I want to thank all readers of this post and all my blogging. I r...