Red Series

Thursday 10 January 2013

Getting Personal: Poetry Corner

My first Getting Personal post of 2013. What is Poetry Corner you ask. Today I'm going to post two poems by me and discuss them a bit. Poetry is another favourite writing style of mine. It was the first piece of writing I got paid for and I believe poetry can touch the soul in a way most other forms of writing can't.

Family Portrait

On a hill sits a mansion.
Resting on the wall within this mansion
is a family portrait of a
wealthy family of four.
Two parents, two children.

A mother with hair raven black
in a wonderful expensive
blue dress, a father in an
expensive classy black suit
with hair sunny blonde.
One son of year twelve
With hair like mother,
blue eyes of the father and
wearing a costly navy blue suit.
The last and youngest son with
hair like his father and
almond brown eyes like the mother.
He’s wearing a costly black suit
and like everyone else smiles with
perfect bright white teeth.

A perfect portrait for a seemingly
perfect rich family.

But a family portrait is
just a family portrait.

Only showing what the camera takes
Not what really goes on within this place.



This poem was inspired by a fan fiction story I wrote called The Horror of Popularity. I was thinking of doing a special prequel (never did it though) and this poem was written to start it off. It shows a family that went through tormoil in the book in the before. But even then the poem hints on trouble in paradise. I think this poems shows the perfect rich nuclear family in the first three stanzas. But in the last two tells us not everything is as it seems.



Soulless (For Madeline McCann’s parents)


As the flash of the camera dies.

I see the evil intention in your eyes.
You don’t care about their little girl.
Only what will make your readership
level whirl.
The mother doesn’t care, the father’s
not doing enough.
Madeline’s drugged, dead, you’ll make up
anything to that will sell.

The mother killed her, the father covered it up.
She hung out with friends to create an alibi.
He stayed to be a supportive husband.
They’re murderers, accomplices, baby traffickers.
Since when was it okay to steal story lines from
Lifetime to make headlines?

Don’t tell me this is news.
Don’t tell me you’re looking out
for the greater good.
As the flash of the camera dies.
I see the evil intention in your eyes.
You people are soulless.


I wrote this poem at a time when I was angry about how a part of the media was handling Madeline McCann's disappearance. This was a serious matter and some media outlets were not only completely focused on her parents but publishing and stating opinions as facts. Some of them so outrageous it made my blood boil. I believe in people being suspects yes but not at the expense of real information being dispensed to the masses. So this poem was me writing out my outrage.

So that's it for today. Thank you for joining me for another post with me Getting Personal.

4 comments:

  1. That last poem was powerful, I could feel your anger. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done. I have no talent for poetry at all. People who don't write seem confused by that. If I can write prose, why not poetry? It requires its own special skills. I'm impressed by those who do it well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Sheena. I am a huge fan of poetry. You're so right --- it definitely touches the soul.

    ReplyDelete

Waiting on Wednesday: Reconnected

Please Note: The final WOW on this blog as I take my final bow this month. I want to thank all readers of this post and all my blogging. I r...