Red Series

Wednesday 2 August 2017

IWSG Summer 2017 and Goal Hop Update



Welcome to another IWSG with host Alex Cavanaugh and his fellow ninjas. Also, thank you to his latest batch of cohosts.

I've been on and off the blogging arena. Life and health issues have taken up a chunk of my time. Plus I've been helping look after my mother since late July after her surgery. So I'm a busy girl. But I have been working on getting back into writing and reading. I read two books during a read-a-ton and I'm reading another right now. Bought a couple new books recently. Most for my Kindle. My insecurity is pretty much finding time for writing and myself. The answer I already know. Make time. It is just that simple and oh so damn hard to do. I'm doing it though, trying alone is not enough.

August Question: What are your pet peeves when reading/writing/editing?

My pet peeves for all of these are when careless mistakes are made. In reading it is when authors don't keep characters consistent. Like having a warrior character suddenly act opposite just for a plot twist that makes no sense. Or to push a love interest. In writing when I'm not focused and write myself into a corner that could have been avoided. Editing? Yeah that's a whole other story and not a top expertise of mine. But I'm extra careful when it comes to that process.

On a whole, there will always be something that bothers us. We have to decide to move past it. Because just fuming over it without moving forward helps no one. Trust in God and all the best.




The Goal Bloghop is a hop where you sign up with the goal you have in mind. It can be a small or big goal. Either way after joining you share your progress the last Friday of each month. Started by Misha, it is now co-hosted along with Jen and Brittney.

I submitted to The Mary Sue and waiting to hear back from them. I had planned to make some other submissions but when I went to check where I had stored some sites to submit to, the list was gone. I have no idea how that happened. But I have to remake the list and update myself on submission terms. Annoying but doable. I'll be sure to have multiple submissions to report at the end of August. Those are the breaks. You win some, you lose some. Just don't give up.

Thanks for stopping by. See you on Friday and have a great day whether IWSG or otherwise.

17 comments:

  1. hope your mother recovers well and quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding time is always the thing I struggle with, too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the submission.
    Inconsistent characters bug me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm off today to go help my mom for a few days too. Hope your mom is doing well. Yes, the errors writers and their editors don't catch is annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Natalie. All the best with your mom and yes my mother's improving nicely. Errors always find a way to sneak in.

      Delete
  5. Hi,
    That's my point too. We will always find things that bother us. We have to move past it.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Patricia at Everything Must Change

    ReplyDelete
  6. Family first, eh? I hear you about taking time away for health and the like. Just sitting at the desk for an hour is seriously testing my stamina, but I WILL PREVAIL! LOL. Here's to doing what we can, when we can, and allowing the other stuff to roll away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good point about inconsistent characters. Best of luck with your submissions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeeeea. I feel you on that. I speak as someone who has done it more than once. One of my recent pieces accidentally switched character personalities with two characters just totally randomly and I kind of just went 'Well shit...'

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with all your goals!
    Hope your Mom is healing well!
    Happy August!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck, and I hope your mom is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sheena Kay. I agree. There's never enough time to write, but I'm getting better at prioritising. Hard as...

    Good luck with your goals...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Family and your own health have to take precedence. It's hard, but you won't regret the time taking care of your mother and taking care of yourself. Take it a day at a time. Consider each day you can read (filling the creative well) or write a bonus. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope your mother is doing better. It's good that she has you to help her out. Sorry to hear that you lost your list, but I'm glad you have a plan to keep moving forward. I appreciate the positive tone of this post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes life decides to keep us on our toes. I hope your mother is better soon. It seems you have a great attitude toward everything and take it in stride. Enjoy your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. yes! It's not great when the author changes what the characters would believably do for the sake of pushing the plot forward.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ugh I hate when things just disappear when I was working with them. All the best for August!

    ReplyDelete

Waiting on Wednesday: Reconnected

Please Note: The final WOW on this blog as I take my final bow this month. I want to thank all readers of this post and all my blogging. I r...